Sirloin steak: Four philological notes
f***@beethoven.com
2005-08-15 23:30:27 UTC
On the theme of people promoting (!) canibalism (see the thread on
psychosis), it comes to mind the origin of the phrase "sirloin steak".
IT is not only steak, suspicious word, but sirloin. Would it be too
naive to separate it in the obvious meaning of "Sir Loin"? An old name,
now forgotten, british of course, a noble man, or rather a commoner
euphemistically called "sir"? And what can it be his *mistake* but
probably that of feeding himself with human flesh? Or was he himself
the fodd for somebody else, perhaps the feeder who remembered him
sardonically as the "mistake of Sir Loin", "Sir Loin's mistake", "Sir
Loins 'stake" and finally, by euphony and lack of diction "sirloin
steak", droping the possessive? WHo might know? BUt then how come the
English language arrived to this so common phrase that it is now
universal?

ANd on the same venue of errors, we have "THe error" falling into
"terror"... AN error that terrorizes, A big mistake, that ended being
"the error" and somebody lived in terror...

Fabrizio J Bonsignore now Danilo J Bonsignore
"Ron Verrall" @#$spam.ca>
2005-08-15 23:50:36 UTC
Post by f***@beethoven.com
[...]
The standard story of the origin of sirloin is as follows:
(pur loined from:
http://www.geocities.com/scattershotbyrb/fantastical/sirloin.html
)
Legend has it that we derive our sirloin steak from one of his fancies.
Once, while addressing his court at dinner, he looked down at his plate and
said, "Fond as I am of all of you, yet I have a still greater favorite-the
loin of a good beef." He then reached for his sword, dubbed the meat and
said, "Therefore, good beef roast, I knight thee, 'Sir Loin', and I proclaim
that a double loin be known as 'Baron.'"
How does history judge Charles II? In Westminster Abbey, someone
scratched these words on a case with his effigy:
"Here lies our sovereign lord, the King
Whose word no man relied on,
Who never said an honest thing
And never did a wise one."

Ron Verrall
Sbharris[atsign]ix.netcom.com
2005-08-16 02:26:35 UTC
Post by "Ron Verrall" @#$spam.ca>
Post by f***@beethoven.com
[...]
COMMENT:
Surreal folk definition. Sur.real = above real. Sirloin = French
"sur-longe" = above the loin. Which is where the cut of meat comes
from.

SBH
f***@beethoven.com
2005-08-16 14:17:35 UTC
Ron Verrall wrote:
(snap)
Post by "Ron Verrall" @#$spam.ca>
http://www.geocities.com/scattershotbyrb/fantastical/sirloin.html
)
(It points to the way I was conceiving this essay! In fact, now I thnk
that the legend corroborated my suspicious. However I will write the
essay as I intended before reading your post)

Fabrizio J Bonsignore now Danilo J Bonsignore
pete
2005-08-17 11:28:55 UTC
Post by f***@beethoven.com
(snap)
Post by "Ron Verrall" @#$spam.ca>
http://www.geocities.com/scattershotbyrb/fantastical/sirloin.html
)
(It points to the way I was conceiving this essay! In fact, now I thnk
that the legend corroborated my suspicious. However I will write the
essay as I intended before reading your post)
Seen it done better in an old (1958) Bugs Bunny cartoon:
"Knighty Knight Bugs".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051825/

Complete credited cast:
Mel
Blanc
....Sir Osis of Liver,
Sir Loin of Beef,
pete
Max Masters!!!
Still the best cut of meat, for a true meat lover.
f***@beethoven.com
2005-08-16 13:34:12 UTC
***@beethoven.com wrote:
ANd on the same venue of errors, we have "THe error" falling into
"terror"... AN error that terrorizes, A big mistake, that ended being
"the error" and somebody lived in terror...

[Imagine people scared to death, hiding somewhere, commenting in
murmurs to each other: "the error, the error, th'error, th'error,
terror, terror..."... Maybe the last memory of some forgotten massacre?
A genocide... I would even think of the Romans, conquering the old
saxons, the isles, and those survivors commenting among themselves, in
panic: "th'error, terror..."]

Fabrizio J. Bonsignore now Danilo J. Bonsignore
f***@beethoven.com
2005-08-16 17:40:27 UTC
***@beethoven.com wrote:
ANd on the same venue of errors, we have "THe error" falling into
"terror"... AN error that terrorizes, A big mistake, that ended being
"the error" and somebody lived in terror...

[Imagine people scared to death, hiding somewhere, commenting in
murmurs to each other: "the error, the error, th'error, th'error,
terror, terror..."... Maybe the last memory of some forgotten
massacre?
A genocide... I would even think of the Romans, conquering the old
saxons, the isles, and those survivors commenting among themselves, in
panic: "th'error, terror..."]

WHat could have been the error of Sir Loin? Loin is already a word in
English, and it points to the most important part of the body, indeed!
(For those who don't think...). Might it have been that "Sir" Loin was
actually mistaking where he put his loins? Wouldn't it be a mistake to
consider worthy of steaking, so to say, by many? A sarcastic title for
somebody who was too "loiny"! Many women probably fell on him (or under
him), and that was the mistake... Or maybe only one, a noblewoman, so
the poor "Sir" ended up being "steaks"... an accepted punishment in
those ages of the middle ages: dismemberment. Maybe even somebody was
forced to it the loins?

BUt also watch this word: loin! Lo-in. As it comes to language
development, things, then places, would be identified and acknowledged
in that order. Lo(w) is actually a place, the phoneme indicating quite
well the position of the lo-in in our bodies. While, on the other hand,
"in" is also a place, but also an action. Lo-in: going down and
*inside*: clear reference to women's bodies.

And also watch the word mistake. As it comes, it can be considered as
tw particles mis and take. Being, in this case, the verb that would
precede an event: take as an ordinary verbal word, then followed by the
phoneme mis, indicating wrongness

Fabrizio J Bonsignore now Danilo J Bonsignore
f***@beethoven.com
2005-08-16 18:17:47 UTC
Post by f***@beethoven.com
And also watch the word mistake. As it comes, it can be considered as
tw particles mis and take. Being, in this case, the verb that would
precede an event: take as an ordinary verbal word, then followed by the
phoneme mis, indicating wrongness,
perhaps the memory of a mis-taken, a robbery, a long lost and forgotten
excuse for a robbery, something being mis-taken and then excused...

So in a single, common phrase a whole story! An active commoner,
handsome, taking a noble woman and then a "mistake" being commited on
him, mockery, punishment, dismemberment and even punishment for the
she-lover, to eat her lover, all of it remembered as a phrase that,
maybe as a popular reaction, remembered in turn with disdain the
mistake commited by the jealous husband...

[All of which seems to corroborate the historic origin of the phrase.
Incidentally, why should there be a "story" remembering the origin of a
phrase? At all? ?! Maybe to cover and not let the punisher "lose face",
literally, to have his face mis-taken away as another punishment,a law
of Talion, to erase the barbaric act that will make everybody remember
in disgrace the perpetrartor? As if History and Truth could be hidden
for ever...]

Shouldn't this ideas provide a grin? Grin! Go, grin! And Gringo is an
English word too! Quite distinguishing from the British, though how it
became a south's word for the neighbor's countrymen may remain a
mystery for ever... Even when, given that Spanish has little use for
the grin particle, it should no longer be considered as an insult...

Fabrizio J Bonsignore now Danilo J Bonsignore
f***@beethoven.com
2005-08-16 18:18:14 UTC
Post by f***@beethoven.com
[...]

phrase? At all? ?! Maybe to cover and not let the "punisher" (more the
criminal) "lose face", literally, to have his face mis-taken away as